This is our Super Bowl. Let your non-golf friends judge away, but if you’re like us, you’ll be enjoying a couple of cold ones – maybe a bunch of cold ones – in celebrating the biggest week on every golfer’s calendar.
A gathering with mates, family … or maybe just your dog and a six-pack, this is a tradition unlike any other. There’s nothing like a good Masters viewing party. But for anyone looking for an extra level of viewing as they watch the action at Augusta National, we’ve come up with a nice drinking game you can play. With others or by yourself. Like we said, there’s no judging here.
Masters 2018 Drinking Game:
– Whenever Joe Ford, Masters Tournament Vice President, appears on the telecast to thank the tournament’s sponsors, yell: “Joe!” and drink for five seconds. (For any tried and true golf fan, you’ll know the golf season starts when you see Joe Ford.)
– Every time an announcer discusses how the Azaleas are in full bloom this year (hey, they actually are, guys), drink for three seconds.
– Every time Sergio’s newborn daughter, Azalea, is discussed, drink for four seconds.
– Every time a broadcaster attempts to explain how distance has changed the architectural features of Azalea, the 13th hole, drink for five seconds.
– Any time an announcer mispronounces a player’s name (This could get dangerous if Xander Schauffele is in contention), drink for three seconds. (Pronunciation Key: Xander Schauffele is pronounced “Zander Shoufullay.”)
– If the cameras show a player consulting his green-reading book (this could also be very dangerous), drink for two seconds.
– Any time Phil Mickelson tips his cap, drink for one second (this might also get dangerous if he’s contending on Sunday).
– While Tony Finau’s gruesome-looking injury is shown on the broadcast, chug from the moment Finau rolls his ankle until he pops it back into place. Not recommended for anybody with a weak stomach.
– Whenever the announcers awkwardly stumble over the situation behind Dustin Johnson’s WD last year, drink for six seconds.
– Any time the announcers reference Fred Couples’ back (poor Freddie looks like he’s struggling), drink for six seconds.
– Whenever a clip of Jordan Spieth’s quadruple-bogey 7 from the 2016 Masters is played, drink three seconds for each ball he played at the 12th hole.
– If anyone makes a hole-in-one, chug your drink.
– If anybody talks about the fact that “Dilly Dilly” was reportedly been marked as a “banned phrase” at the Masters this year, shout in unison with your party “Dilly Dilly!” and drink half your drink.
– If Tiger Woods’ Smokewagon is referenced, drink half your drink. C’mon, Scott Van Pelt … we’re looking at you here.
– Whenever a clip of Arnold Palmer is shown, tip your cap and cheers The King, and drink for a second.
– Each time the Eisenhower Tree is mentioned (R.I.P.), drink for three seconds.
– Any time Jim Nantz mentions the Eagles and Villanova in the same sentence. Because that’s worth being hungover tomorrow about.
– Any time a patron gets hit with an errant shot, drink for three seconds.
– Whenever Tiger Woods is hitting from a different fairway, drink for three seconds. (Judging by how he’s done Thursday & Friday, this could be dangerous.)
– And whenever the newly established Augusta National Women’s Amateur Championship is referenced, cheers to the TV for progress, and drink 10 seconds.